Date(s) - 11/06/2019
11:00 am - 1:00 pm
Levengrove Park, Dumbarton
Sir Jackie Stewart F1 Grand Prix Walk
West Dunbartonshire Council and Sporting Memories Foundation Scotland are celebrating the achievements of local sporting hero Sir Jackie Stewart on the 11th of June 2019, with a community walk event in Dumbarton to acknowledge the 50th Anniversary of his winning of the Formula 1 World Championship in 1969, as well as wishing him well on his 80th birthday.
Sir John Young “Jackie” Stewart, OBE (born 11 June 1939) is a British former Formula One racing driver from Milton in West Dunbartonshire. Nicknamed the “Flying Scot”, he competed in Formula One between 1965 and 1973, winning three World Drivers’ Championships in 1969, 1971 and 1973.
Sir Jackie Stewart was also instrumental in improving the safety of motor racing, campaigning for better medical facilities and track improvements at motor racing circuits.
Today, Sir Jackie Stewart devotes his considerable energies to his global charity, Race Against Dementia, which he founded to accelerate the research into finding treatment and a cure for dementia.
Details of the Sir Jackie Stewart F1 Grand Prix Walk are detailed below:
- Day and Date: Tuesday the 11th of June 2019
- Venue: (New Pavilion) Levengrove Park, Dumbarton G82 4AZ
- To Register your participation : See link to Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/grand-prix-walk-in-celebration-of-sir-jackie-stewart-tickets-61927330312?utm_term=eventurl_text
- Cost: Free
- Welcome and Introductions: 10.50am
- Mass participants Group Photograph -10:55am
- Start Time: 11:00am to 1:00pm
- Route: Walk Leader personnel led – 1 Mile route around Levengrove Park with options to do 2 or 3 laps of the route, to mirror the achievements of Sir Jackie Stewarts 3 F1 World Championships. The route is suitable for all to partake, including wheelchair users. See link to route: https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/2492144722/
- Chequered Flag Finish
- Tea and Coffee available to purchase at the Pavilion Café
- For more information, please call 01389 737449
- Link to Sporting Memories Foundation Scotland: thesmf.co.uk
Link to Race Against Dementia: https://raceagainstdementia.com/
Donation link: https://www.raceagainstdementia.com/donate/